Super Mala Collection
If you are a fan of Sichuan cuisine, then you know the importance of mala to authentic taste. This Super Mala Collection includes an expanded selection of ingredients for creating ma and la, the defining tastes of Sichuan food, plus six well-tested and beautifully printed recipe cards for classic Sichuan dishes.
'Ma' refers to the tingly, citrusy taste of Sichuan peppercorn. Our non-heat-treated, hand-processed red and green Sichuan peppercorns were shipped direct from Sichuan after the fall 2018 harvest and are incomparably fresh, fragrant and potent.
'La' refers to the heat of chili pepper, and this kit includes both the popular facing-heaven chilies as well as fat, round lantern chilies to be used in stir-fries. It also includes fragrant-hot chili flakes, which are a mix of three kinds of toasted and ground chilies, to be used in making chili oil, an essential ingredient in cold dishes and sauces.
If Sichuan pepper and chili peppers are the heart of Sichuan cuisine, then Pixian doubanjiang, or chili bean paste made in Pixian County, is the soul. This kit includes a large package from the oldest and most esteemed maker. Available only at The Mala Market, the Yi Feng He Hao brand is a small-batch, completely handmade douban aged for three years in earthenware crocks and stirred every one of those 1,000-plus days by hand.
Combine this Super Mala Collection with basic Chinese pantry items like Chinese soy sauce and black vinegar and you can make dozens of authentic dishes. Or add our Sichuan Umami Collection to make just about any classic Sichuan recipe.
This collection includes six Mala Market recipe cards to get you started, and there are many more recipes using the ingredients on our blog.
- Premium Big Red Pao Sichuan peppercorn, 2 ounces/1 cup
- Premium green Sichuan peppercorn, 2 ounces/1 cup
- Facing heaven dried chilies, 4 ounces/4 1/2 cups
- Lantern dried chilies, 4 ounces/5 cups
- Fragrant-hot chili flakes, 7 ounces/2 cups
- Premium 3-year aged Pixian chili bean paste (doubanjiang), 17.6 ounces
- Recipe cards for chili oil, gong bao (kung pao) chicken, mapo doufu, dry-fried green beans, Chongqing chicken (la zi ji) and water-boiled fish (shui zhu yu)
- Plus a bonus gift of Yibin Suimiyacai (preserved mustard stem pickle)
See individual products on this site for more description of each one, including provenance and ingredients.
If this is a gift, know that we do not include a packing list or any pricing info. The collection is packaged with festive red crinkle paper and a beautifully printed product storage and usage card.